Monday, August 6, 2012

Yes, I'm THAT person.


Yes, I'm THAT person.
 
Someone in a discussion with my sister, wondered who those people were that were upset when their pets ran away from home, because if they had run away it must've been because they were bad owners.  . . . she thought for a moment, and then answered, "my sister."

It's true.  I'm THAT person.  Here's the story.  I had my cat for over 12 years.  She was the first cat we had while here in Tennessee--the alpha and omega of kitties.  We found her in the woods and raised her from a kitten.  The thing about Toby is she is the ultimate loner and admirably ferocious.  I once saw her bring a rabbit out of the woods that was as big as she was, which was quite extraordinary.  I, as a cat owner, am very "needy."  I need lots of attention from my animals.  So when my cat disappears for months at a time, I assume she just wants her space, and I’m okay with that, as long as she shows up and lets me know she's okay and happy.  But when she moves in with my neighbor, (let's call him Jeff), that's when I get upset.  What does he have that I don't????  Better food?  I give out kitty treats several times a day and sometimes even break out the canned salmon.  Better home?  I have a courtyard dedicated to kitties only.  Love?  Come on, do I really need to go on about my attributes here???? 

With this loss, I found myself going through the seven stages of grief.  First Shock and Denial--how could Toby move in with Jeff?  Then Pain and Guilt--did I do something wrong?  Does Toby hate me now?  Then Anger and Bargaining--I find myself driving by Jeff's house thinking, "what a @@@itch, when I see Toby lazing in his yard and then quickly finding myself wanting to stop to say hello."  Next, I experienced depression--weeks of just trying to get on with my life, perking up at any stray meow I heard.  Followed by some normalcy returning to my life--my other dogs and cats still need attention, walks, hugs, treats as I'm working through my loss.  Then finally acceptance--"Okay, so Toby isn't coming back.  I still have two other cats that love my attention and two dogs that watch my every movement, basking in each dog biscuit…..

I guess I'm writing this post to admit that when it comes to my pets, I "MIGHT" be needier than the most obnoxious dog.  I have high expectations--as long as they stick around they pretty much own me.  I wonder if there's a 12-step program for pet owners to work through the co-dependency issues.




No comments:

Post a Comment