Friday, August 31, 2012

UNBELIEVABLE!!!



UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Okay, I've had it!  After getting rid of two copperheads in the garden this spring and feeling reasonably safe that nothing else that could hurt me lurked there, I walked by the garden gate today and saw a 3-foot long Copperhead skin.  Dab-burn-it!!!  I can't tell you how frustrated I am.  There's no way I'll be able to get past my extreme paranoia long enough to fetch the rest of my produce.  I ended up picking squash at the edge of the rock wall where I could see directly in front of me.  Boomer snarled at the skin--he's a bit slow when it comes to guarding the homestead.  My cat has better hunting skills than he does.  This morning, I saw Tom-Tom, my ancient kitty snacking on a mouse.  His motivation couldn't possibly be hunger.  I give him 3 snacks a day and yesterday I poured salmon juice over his regular food.  I'm chocking his prowess up to being a great hunter. 

It's that time of year again when the ginseng hunters are out.  These guys don't really care if they're on private property--they park their truck where it can't be seen and hike all over this mountain hunting ginseng.  They've pretty much hunted it to extinction.  According to law, they're only supposed to gather at a specific time and then replant any seeds they find.  They don't.  That's why the plant is almost extinct here.  Whenever I find a ginseng plant on the property, I break off the above ground leaves so they won't find it.  Once I found a hole where someone had dug right below my house.  To add insult to injury, the guy tossed his candy bar wrapper on the ground next to it.    

Well friends, guess I'd better start packing.  I'm heading to Alaska in a few days to visit family. I'll write more about my adventures there.

Take care, All.

No comments:

Post a Comment