Monday, May 13, 2013

Back from Alaska

I'm back in Tennessee.  It was an eventful trip.  While I was in Alaska, my father passed away.  While it was expected, it was still hard.  I was grateful to be there and be able to say goodbye though.  I did get to see many friends who stopped by to pay condolences.  One friend, a chef-and quite a good one at that, stopped by for dinner.  I had marinated steaks all day from a recipe on the internet that promised the "very best steaks on the planet" and then found out when I was about to cook them, we didn't have any propane for the grill.  I ended up cooking them on a George Forman Grill.  They turned out all right, but it is very intimidating cooking for a chef.  The weather there was said to be one of the coldest springs for Alaska and I believed it.  It actually snowed the second week in May-not just a light sprinkling, but a full-blown snow storm.  It was very disheartening as I was looking forward to spring. 

The trip home was a disaster, which was also expected.  Of course, I packed too many clothes in the first place.  I didn't need quite so many since I spent the majority of my time in my pajamas--as one should.  When it came time to pack to go home, of course I came home with more than I'd left with.  I did the sitting on the suitcase as I was zipping technique, but still had to resort to a second suitcase.  Then, because the zipper broke, I ended up duck-taping around it several times.  I believe that will be the luggage's last trip.  In the end, of course I looked like a "hillbilly"--just one more humiliating experience to add to my repertoire. 

The trip home was eventful.  Halfway through the long flight from Anchorage to Minneapolis, the guy in the seat behind me kept shoving my seat forward so that it felt like we were experiencing constant turbulence.  I would've been annoyed, but since it's a given that we're all going to be shoved into the plane like over-sized sardines in a small tin, I let it go.  Now I'm glad I did.  It turned out he was having medical problems-some kind of seizure.  The flight attendants came over the intercom and called for a doctor (preferably one with a license to come to the back of the plane).  When we landed, everyone had to remain seated until the paramedics boarded and helped him off the plane.  The next flight was delayed for 2 hours because one of the flight attendants had a family emergency.  The new flight attendant suggested, over the intercom, that since we were so happy she came, we could leave her $5, or preferably diamonds if we chose as we exited the plane.  But she was so curt and bossy during the flight, I doubt anyone would've wanted to-despite being saved after a 2-hour wait.  I've come to the determination that flying is never fun.  So, in a way, I'm glad to be back--but on the other hand, I left quite a few loved ones behind and I was sad to go.

Take care, All

No comments:

Post a Comment