Saturday, December 1, 2012

Busy in Tennessee

Hi all, 

A special thanks to all those who sent me kind messages about my book "Unplugged."  I appreciate the support.  You're the best.  

Now that I've settled back in to life after being in Alaska for two months, I've decided on a few things.  First, I need to get my garden cleaned up for next planting season.  If you've been keeping up with my blogs, you'll know that I've mostly lost my battle with weeds, but with each spring brings new determination to win.  Perseverance--that's what it takes.  The snakes have all gone to bed so this is a good time of year to clean.  After that, I'm planning to rebuild all the beds and soil.  Years ago, I built deep beds for my herb garden and filled three-foot boxes, in equal amounts, with clay (which I have quite a lot of), sand (I had to buy) and black dirt (found deep in the woods underneath the layers of leaves).  It was a lot of work, but I had the most fabulous herb garden for years.  It was the perfect combination of soils--in fact it was the only thing I grew well.  So this year, I'm planning to do the same for my vegetable garden. The second thing I plan to do with the long winter months is to declutter my house.  My grandmother always said one fire equals three moves.  I don't plan on either, so I'm going to have to be brutal.  I might even take in some episodes of Hoarders to motivate me.  In any case, I have quite a lot to do.   

Take care,
Hillary B.

hsbergeron@yahoo.com


No comments:

Post a Comment